- Reports to:
- Farm Operations Manager
- Full time
- Nwoya District, Northern Uganda
- Negotiable based on qualifications and skills
- Starting Date:
As soon as possible
Amatheon Agri Uganda Ltd is a subsidiary of Amatheon Agri Holding N.V. a German based agribusiness and food company developing and operating sustainable businesses in Sub-Saharan Africa. Amatheon Agri Uganda Ltd is seeking a self-motivated, innovative individual to take on the position of an Agronomy Intern at the company‘s 5000ha farm in Nwoya, Northern Uganda.
The Agronomy Intern will be responsible for raising high quality profitable crops through routine scouting, soil sampling and timely reporting. Moreover, the Agronomy Intern will:
- be an active part of the team, disciplined, structured, willing and able to take over responsibility and to assist operations management.
- need to be able to plan test trials, to prepare a scouting program for the agricultural season dependent on the requirements of specific crops.
- conduct trials on different crops according to presented and agreed plan, including seeding, cultivating, spraying, weeding, and harvesting.
- undertake systematic crop scouting on the company’s vast farms to identify pests, diseases and other effects of vagaries of weather on crops.
- establish and maintain test plots by examining the effects of seed treatment, agricultural chemicals and fertilizers.
- manage casual labourers on the trial blocks and ensuring costs are kept low.
- assist in the conduct of field marking and mapping.
- monitor seed placement, seed spacing during planting operations and seed evaluation.
- compile data and submit reports on crop health to the Farm Operations Manager.
Required Skills and Experiences
- A minimum of a Diploma in crop production.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture or its equivalent is an added advantage.
- Experience in running crop trials.
- Demostrated hands on experience in crop research and development.
- Fluent reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Possession of a valid riding licence class ‘A’.
- Computer literacy skills in Ms word, Ms Excel, and Internet.
- Must be assertive but diplomatic.
- Mature with high degree of integrity.
- Ability to manage a diverse team.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates who meet the requirements of the above position should send a cover letter and resume only including address, daytime telephone contact and three referees to r.asiimwe[at]amatheon-agri.com
Deadline: Friday, December 31st 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Properly formatted PDF or Word documents are preferred.